Walking is a great exercise that’s available to most people, yet Americans rank among the most stagnant and least healthy of all First World nations. Walking is a low-impact exercise, meaning that if you have joint issues, it will not affect them very much. Especially if you wear the proper equipment and properly plan your route to keep you motivated. Reap the benefits of walking and learn why you should start this great exercise that we humans and our ancestors have been doing for millions of years.
The Benefits of Walking
Physical activity doesn’t have to be as complicated as TV infomercials make it seem! Something as simple as a 30-minute walk every day is all you need to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Improve your balance and coordination
- Improve your mood
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
Staying motivated to do it every single day can be a little tough. But nothing is more detrimental to routine than skipping your scheduled day. To help you stay on track you should
- Get the right gear. Choose shoes with proper arch support, a firm heel and thick flexible soles to cushion your feet and absorb shock.
- Choose your course carefully. If you’ll be walking outdoors, avoid paths with cracked sidewalks, potholes, low-hanging limbs or uneven turf.
- Warm up. Walk slowly for five to 10 minutes to warm up your muscles and prepare your body for the briskness.
- Cool down. At the end of your walk, walk slowly for five to 10 minutes. This will help avoid cramping.
- Stretch. After you cool down, gently stretch your muscles. If you’d rather stretch before you walk, remember to warm up first.
Knowing that you have the right health insurance policy can give you the peace of mind you need if you have any concerns about injury. Contact the insurance professionals at HBT Insurance in Auburn, Washington. As an independent insurance agency, we will work with you to help you find the right amount of protection, all at the right price to fit your budget.